Our Chapter’s annual Presidents’ Day Weekend at the Wiezel Cabin, part of ADK’s Heart Lake lodging in the heart of the High Peaks, was another adventure-filled success. Big thanks to Pete and Carol McGinnis for arranging the weekend and making sure there were plenty of snacks and beverages for all to enjoy; to Chris Bickford for helping to organize the two dinner potlucks; and to all who participated with enthusiasm and good spirits. See you next year!
Join our local trail colleagues, The Ralph Peak Hikers Cabin Volunteer Club, for its 20th annual AT Work Weekend and BBQ/Campout, July 13-15. Come for part or all of the weekend. The club maintains the Appalachian Trail and RPH cabin in the Hopewell Junction area.
Proposed projects this year are: paint and repair Seth Lyon Memorial Bridge; install new check dams; rebuild wooden walkway; replace rotted water bars; prune back invasive foliage along trail right of way; build steps. There is work for all levels of experience and skills.
- Tim Messerich, Trail Work Leader, firstname.lastname@example.org or 845.401.8817
- Jim Gahn, President, email@example.com or 914.213.7250
The club works on the AT in the vicinity of RPH Cabin every Saturday, weather permitting, and invites new participants.
Contact: Russ Faller 845-297-5126 (before 9:30 PM) or firstname.lastname@example.org. A fun-filled day for you and your entire family, whether you’re paddlers or have never paddled before. Bring the kids, grandchildren, spouse, partner & friends. Don’t let the name fool you. It’s not just kayaks. There will be canoes and stand-up paddle boards (SUPs) for you to try. The emphasis will be on education, demonstrations, lessons and guided tours for all levels of paddler, as well as, for those who’ve never paddled before. If you have a boat, bring it. We need volunteers to help run this event. You need not be a paddler to be of help – contact Russ. You will not be asked to help for more than a couple of hours, so you’ll still be able to do some paddling – a lesson, a guided tour, etc.
Members of the Mid-Hudson Chapter of ADK get in free. Bring your membership card. Non-members are asked to donate $10 to the non-profit Forsyth Nature Center. Go to Kingston Point Beach, 53 Delaware Av., Kingston, NY, between 10 AM to 4 PM.
- 10:00 AM – 4 PM Test Paddle a Kayak
- 10:30 – 11:15 AM Beginner Kayak Lesson on the Beach: Mike Pettigrew & Mark Tatro of Mid-Hudson ADK
- 10:30 – 11:15 AM Kayaking with the Mayor (Intermediate Level): Steve Noble, Kingston Mayor
- 11:15 – 12:15 PM Kayaking 101*: Mike Pettigrew of Mid-Hudson ADK & KC Keegan-Twombley of Forsythe Nature Center
- 12:00 – 12:45 PM Kayaking with the Mayor (Intermediate Level): Steve Noble, Kingston Mayor
- 12:00 – 1:00 PM How to Choose a SUP/Intro to SUPing: Tara of Kenco Outfitters
- 12:45 – 1:30 PM Beginners’ Kayak Tour: KC Keegan-Twombley of Forsythe Nature Center
- 1:00 – 1:45 PM Beginner Kayak Lesson on the Beach: Mike Pettigrew & Mark Tatro of Mid-Hudson ADK
- 1:15 – 2:00 PM Kayaking with the Mayor (Intermediate Level): Steve Noble, Kingston Mayor
- 1:45 – 2:45 PM Kayaking 101*: Mike Pettigrew of Mid-Hudson ADK & KC Keegan-Twombley of Forsythe Nature Center
- 2:00 – 2:45 PM How to Pick a Kayak & Paddle: Dave of Kenco Outfitters
- 3:15 – 4:00 PM Beginners’ Kayak Tour: Steve Noble, Kingston Mayor & KC Keegan-Twombley, Forsythe Nature Center